'Ugh- i hate 'pseudo-intellectuals'

What truly pisses me off is reading a tweet by a random 13 year old saying that voting for Erap is indeed stupid. Seriously? You were 1 year old in 2001 so how can you even have an opinion?!?

I can clearly remember that time... I was a freshman in UP Diliman and 90% of the students & professors were cutting classes to go to rallies in EDSA, including my sister who was a member of one of the University's theater group. Almost all of my classmates would go to all these rallies, except me. I remember that whenever classes were suspended, I would convince my blockmate to watch a movie in SM North instead. My number one reason for not going to the rallies was because I followed the impeachment process. Since Erap agreed to undergo this process, then people should respect process. We cannot just ignore the millions of people who voted for him , just because of this unopened envelope. Cmon he was the first president after Marcos who was without question voted by the majority of Filipino people. The number of students  who don't even vote crowding the streets of EDSA is not a valid majority. 

See, my mom voted  for Erap and back then I believed that my mom would never choose someone if he's not good enough. Before you jump to conclusions, my mom is a University educated woman and before Mt. Pinatubo erupted, she owned a considerable part of her father's hacienda. Yes, even educated middle class people voted for Erap. I did ask my mom why she voted for Erap... Is it because he was a famous movie star? My mom always answered that people wanted someone they want to believe in... Someone to motivate them to work harder and someone who really has the heart for the poor people. That was why she voted for Erap. 

When Erap was leaving Malacanang, I cried. I was disappointed. i thought Erap would stick it out. I resented Davide and GMA acting "God" and proclaiming a new president.  Was Erap really guilty? We will never know will we? And i wont pretend i know better... Maybe he is, maybe not. I just find it so ironic that the woman who replaced him as president turned out to be a proven crook. Oh i was just so relieved i was not a part of those rallies that elected her. 

remember that a lot of my school mates would ask me why I dont attend the rallies. Then they would shake their heads thinking i was out of my mind whenever i tell them I'm pro-Erap. I always tell them I am pro-people's choice. i get the same reaction when I tell them that i think Aegis songs are cool and I watch Judy Ann Santos movies. I get laughs and some thought I was just kidding. Then, when i start asking these same people about why they are against these things, they start to clam up. After I try to challenge their views to explain beyond the cliche people read on the front page of every broadsheet, i then discover that most of these people are clueless. That is what i hate. If you really have an opinion, fine... But dont pretend to have one just because you want to look like you belong to the "educated" "in" crowd. 

Comments

Popular Posts