What's a normal 22 year old like?

In less than 48 hours, I'll be heading out to the Dubai Rugby Sevens Stadium along with thousands of One Direction fans from nearby countries  to finally watch the On The Road Again concert. I bought my ticket almost a year ago to guarantee my slot. My friends (and my husband) would ask me why does a 32 year old married woman want to watch a boyband marketed to tweens. They never raised an eyebrow when I bought tickets to Usher, Madonna or Jlo but there's always this patronizing amusement when they learned that oh boy, I'm watching 1D live.

I've always been a pop culture freak, (which I believe is a plus when you work in the TV industry) so liking One Direction is a shoo-in. And i  always answered that I have to watch them now before they disband.  I grew up watching Backstreet Boys, Nsync, the Eraserheads and Spice Girls so I'm old enough to know that sooner or later, the group will break up. This knowledge did not, however, soften the blow when it was announced days before the Dubai concert that Zayn Malik left the group.I was speechless and so affected that I am writing this blog post about it (hahahaha) but not a lot of people understand how frustrating it is to wait  300+++ days for something only to be told that 'no babe, not happening'.

I am still watching the concert in spite of this heartbreaking development but I can't help but feel cheated. I feel that it was unfair for Zayn to just go off like that in the middle of the tour with the excuse that he wants to be a "normal 22 year old". It got me into thinking now, what exactly does he think a normal 22 year old do?

When I was 22 years old, I was just fresh out of college and working my way up as a  trainee writer in the cutthroat TV industry in Manila, struggling to make my rent. 'Normal' 22 year olds do not spend the weekend in a recording studio to write and relax... they go to University, or they work in odd jobs, or maybe are struggling to find jobs to pay their student loans. Of course ,  'normal' 22 year olds are young, free, they can do whatever they want without anybody caring but earth to Zayn, 'normal' 22 year olds don't fly out in private jets with their fiancee, nor do they have enough money to even think about getting married (let's face it, 'normal' 22 year olds dont get engaged to pop stars).

What's my point? I guess it would've been better if Zayn just  dropped that  'normal' 22 year old  excuse and just stuck to the 'I'm not happy ' bit of his explanation. It's just less insulting.

Anyway, as I've said , all roads lead to One Direction on Saturday and I'm just looking at the brighter side of things (amidst the sandstorm)... that I will get to see Harry Styles.









Comments

Popular Posts