Usapang Puso (Heart Talks)

I was sitting in a hotel lobby yesterday waiting for my husband to pick me up when an elderly woman sat down next to me asking if there was wifi in the lobby. I was playing a game on my IPad so she might have thought I had access to the Internet. I shook my head saying that there is a fee of 5$ per hour. She mumbled that she couldn't understand why a 5 star hotel in Dubai wouldn't have free wifi. I was intrigued so I closed my IPad and started to get to know her. I asked where she came from and she said she's originally from Bangkok. I was excited and I told her how  I adore that city. I told her how my mom and my sister shopped all day nonstop and went back home paying over baggage fees at the airport. I found out that she is in Dubai not as a tourist but as a participant in a medical conference for a week. She is a cardiologist. I was taken aback!  This seemingly harmless,fragile lady is actually a super doctor who saves hearts! She smiled at the obvious surprise in my face. She said that she is not a surgeon but she focuses more on treatments and medicines for heart conditions. In those short minutes I briefly told her how my dad had a heart surgery a few years back and how it is very important for him to take care of his health now.she asked how old my dad is  and i said 59 then she shared that she is 65. I gave her my contact details and asked for hers. I told her that I will surely give her a call next time I'm in Bangkok.  I asked her then if she has kids and she said no. Husband? She pointed at the man who was sitting not far away on the next couch. She then said he is a plastic surgeon! I jokingly touched my face and exclaimed: "plastic surgeon? I'll surely give you a call next time I'm in Bangkok! " It's amazing how a simple conversation can lead to new friendships with people you'd never expect. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts